Stay in the loop

Subscribe for important updates and notifications.

Oct 14

Ready for Monday!


Dear Parents,

I am so relieved that the boil advisory for South Island PSD has been lifted.  We look forward to welcoming everyone on Monday.  Should the south end of the island experience any changes in power, water, or sewer, we will notify you and change plans accordingly.

Thank you to all of the parents who have offered to help clean the school!  We sincerely appreciate it.  The leaning trees and dangling limbs made the environment too dangerous to accept help, so professionals have started the clean-up process.  We are happy to report that Fox Grape Rd and most of the parking lot have been cleared!  The playground will be next.

There will be opportunities for help.  When building work begins in both wings of the school, we will be looking for volunteers to help pack and box materials/furniture to move to storage until work has been completed.  Be on the look-out for that list.

Classroom combinations and lessons will carry on as previously listed with one exception.  Violin lessons will be held in the library, not the music room.

This weekend’s Reel in the Redfish tournament has been postponed.  For more information, contact the PTO, at pto [at] spma[dot]com.

School pictures will be made up on 11/30 and 12/1.  Mark your calendars!

Thank you for your continued support.  We can get through the aftermath of Hurricane Matthew together!  We look forward to seeing everyone’s smiling faces on Monday.  Please use carpool in the morning for an easy transition.  Let the normalcy commence!



Oct 12

Update- Important message


Wednesday, October 12 <> 8:30 pm

Dear Families,

I hope that everyone is safely at home or has plans to be so soon.

I just spent two hours walking our exterior and interior school grounds.  The school is intact and largely damage free in the sense that most rooms are fine, albeit water leaks from the roof.  Unfortunately, both wings of the building suffered damage from rising waters.  The entire Blue room, Violin Studio, old Resource room, and Primary closet are completely soaked and previously had standing water.  The Piano Studio, Spanish office, Middle School locker area, Upper School kitchen, and [possibly] Middle School also had standing water.   Our large playground also took a hit.  We lost our large center tree and two smaller ones.  More importantly, we lost a significant amount of surface fill.

We have contacted our insurance company and are expecting an adjustor to be on site tomorrow to [professionally] document everything.

Going forward, we will continue to aim for a start date of Monday, October 17 only if the boil advisory has been lifted by South Island PSD.  Under DHEC and DSS regulations, we cannot operate with a boil advisory in effect.

If we are able to open on Monday, the Blue room students will be combining with both Red and Purple classrooms.  Ashley S will join Purple and Marilee will join Red.  I have spoken to Ashley about the combination of students and she will be preparing a list and contacting Blue room families.

Violin lessons will be held in the Music Room.

Piano and guitar lessons will be held in the lobby.

Middle School can continue in their classroom with use of the Art Studio.  This may change based on what the adjustor discovers.

When cleaning/replacement work begins on the Upper School wing, Mudpuppies will join Moonshells, and all 3rd year students will join Manatees with one Lower El teacher.

All Spanish classes will be held in their respective classrooms during planned lesson times until further notice.

There will be no outdoor recess until all trees and limbs have been cleared, the equipment inspected, and fill added under drop zones.  I will be in discussions with Coach Ben about indoor recess and yoga.

Above all else, I am just so happy that all of our families and staff are safe. The rest can be managed. I hope to see everyone on Monday. If you need anything, please contact me!

With gratitude- Melinda


Oct 09



Dear Families,

I have received some early updates with regards to the status of the school.  There are so many trees down on our driveway, and with the massive number of main roads to clear in Sea Pines, Fox Grape Road is not priority.  I completely agree with and support Sea Pines’s CSA emergency management.
Without proper access, running water, sewer, and electricity, we can not check on the school nor operate safely.
School will be closed for the remainder of the week.  I will send out an update as soon as possible regarding a tentative opening for the week of October 17.  
Please heed the warnings issued by the Town and County, and do not return until an “all clear” is given.  There are massive bottlenecks at each 278 checkpoint and cars are being turned around and directed away from Hilton Head.  Be safe!
Miss Cotter
Head of School
Oct 08

School Closed- Monday & Tuesday



Dear Families,

A limited number of Sea Pines Security and Maintenance will be leaving their evacuation location tomorrow at daybreak.  They will be in route with heavy machinery and equipment as they assess damages and restore road service in Sea Pines.  This includes Fox Grape Road.

As we await the evacuation order to be rescinded, the earliest possible day to evaluate the school in its entirety would be Monday.  Additionally, SPMA staff must also travel and survey their homes.  At this time, school will also be closed on Tuesday, October 11.  It is possible that there will be more closures this week.

Please continue to follow our “UPDATES” for school information.

We hope that everyone’s homes and personal belongings are in tact.  If you need assistance during the re-entry process or are experiencing hardship as a result of Hurricane Matthew, please don’t hesitate to reach out.



Head of School

Oct 07

School Closing Information


Dear Families,

Though we do not know the effects of Hurricane Matthew yet, school will be closed at minimum, Monday, October 10 to allow for safe travel back to the island should we receive an “all clear.”
Our Facebook page contains a thread for meet-ups to help pass time and reunite friends during the evacuation period.
I will keep you all posted as I receive new information.  Please be safe.
Miss Cotter
Oct 06

Hurricane Matthew


Please continue to watch the news and weather reports for new information, road closures, and evacuation routes as Hurricane Matthew makes its way to the Southeastern US.

Stay safe!

Oct 04




At 3:30 pm (10/4) the governor issued a mandatory evacuation of Beaufort County.

Please be safe!  We will keep everyone posted of school related news and conditions as we receive them.

Oct 03

Watching the weather


We are tracking Hurricane Matthew and will keep you posted of possible delays or closings.

Be sure to follow UPDATES and WEATHER for current information.

Sep 30

Upcoming Dates


Don’t forget to mark your calendars for the PTO Meetings!

———–>Tuesday, October 18 @ 1:30pm<———–

Thursday, November 10 @ 8:30am

Tuesday, December 6 @ 5:45pm

Wednesday, January 11 @ 2:00pm

Tuesday, February 21 @ 5:45pm

Thursday, March 16 @ 8:30am

Monday, April 3 @ 2:00pm

pto [at] spma[dot]com


Upper School Photos: Wednesday, October 12

Lower School Photos: Thursday, October 13

Uniforms are not required on either day.


15 days until Reel in the Redfish kicks off!  

Sponsor and ticket information is included in the link!

Redfish Tournament Packet

Sep 25

PTO Meeting & Cross Country


Join us at 2:00 pm for the next PTO meeting!  It’s not too late to sign-up.  The PTO Membership form is included below.  See you there!

SPMA PTO Membership Form


Our Cross Country team had a strong showing last week!  Congrats to all of the runners, many of whom logged personal bests!  The next week takes place this Wednesday.  For more information on the meets, the Cross Country team, or a Running Club, contact Coach Ben or Coach Kelly.

img_1921 img_1922img_1923 img_1924 img_1925 img_1926 img_1927 img_1928 img_1929 img_1930 img_1931 img_1932 img_1933 img_1934